Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homecoming

For many of you who experienced Homecoming for the first time this past weekend, I'm sure you were surprised by all the commotion it created around campus. At least at my high school, Homecoming was only a big deal for current students who participated in a week-long celebration; alumni only came to watch the game. At Penn, Homecoming is all about the alumni. As freshmen, many of you are unacquainted with any alumni since, duh, this is your first year at Penn. As a senior, Homecoming was especially significant for me this year, since it's my last as a student.

What I realized, however, was that Homecoming wouldn't be so special if I didn't have a place to come back to next year when I'm an alum. The flood of alumnae who came back to the sorority house over Homecoming weekend was a comforting reminder that once I graduate, I'll still have a home at Penn. With only six months of my college career left before me, the thought of leaving all of this behind is a lot less scary knowing that I'll always have sisters in University City.

No comments:

Post a Comment