Monday, January 11, 2010

Recruitment 2010--ADVICE

I'm finally back in Philadelphia, sitting in my apartment on my roommate's computer (mine conveniently broke this morning), about to finally begin season one of Glee, and getting excited about RECRUITMENT 2010!!

I remember being a freshman at this time two years ago, freaking out about recruitment. Now that I've been through one year on both sides--a potential new member AND a sorority member--I have some advice for you.

1. WEAR UGGS AND WARM COATS. The first day of Recruitment 2008 I wore my cute pair of heels, cute dress coat, dress, and some sheer tights. While I looked cute for about the first ten minutes of leaving Hill, by the time I got to the first house, my hair was basically frozen, my nose was running, my eyes were tearing, and I couldn't even shake the girl's hand. FAIL. So don't be embarrassed about changing into a pair of uggs in between rounds and having a big puffy coat. I swear no one will judge you.

2. Be chatty. As a sorority member, the most annoying thing is when girls give one word answers and the conversation turns into an interview. You may feel kind of awkward at first, but it makes the conversation flow way more easily if you are talkative and responsive. Even if the conversation seems a little superficial at first, by responding well, the conversation will be great. Trust me, it'll be more awkward for both you and the sorority member if you give one word answers, because eventually, she'll run out of questions. It's happened to me, and I'm not so great under pressure. I'm pretty sure I blurted something out about my freakish obsession with Hilary Duff and she DEFINITELY judged me.

3. Keep an open mind. Even if you have a bad first impression of a house, do NOT be dismissive. Girls who are snobby are not well liked, and sometimes first impressions aren't enough. Going into recruitment, I was convinced I was going to be in one certain chapter--but I kept an open mind. Guess what? I found out that I liked EVERY SINGLE HOUSE I saw, and I didn't even end up pledging the original chapter I thought I liked the best. So it's really important to go into recruitment with an open mind and show interest and personality in every house.


Those are quick and easy things to keep in mind about recruitment 2010. Most importantly, though, don't be nervous! Relax. When you are comfortable at the chapter it makes it easier for both you and the girls you are talking to. It makes it a better experience for everyone. If nothing else, rushing is a great way to meet new people--in older classes and your own. I made a ton of friends in the lines at recruitment with whom I still keep in touch. And although waiting in line in the freezing cold may seem miserable, when you get inside the warm houses, full of friendly girls, it's totally worth it. Especially when recruitment is over and you belong to a sorority. Bid day is on the 21st--a mere ten days from now! When you put it in perspective, it's literally a week out of your life. Not so bad.

xoxo

volps

No comments:

Post a Comment