Monday, September 14, 2009

INTRO FROM VOLPE

Hi! My name is Lynden, but everyone calls me Carolyne...super confusing and unnecessary, I know. I'm a Junior in Delta Delta Delta, and I'm looking forward to writing for this blog along with Andrea to help everyone learn about Greek Life at Penn. Some quick facts about me: I'm from New York City, I'm Philanthropy Chair for my sorority, I am co-editor in chief of Green Couch (which will ACTUALLY come out this year, hopefully), I participate in write-on!, I'm majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in History, and I get realllllyyyyy into any sort of themed party.

Sororities can get a bad rep, especially if you’re not a “girlie girl.” Definition: one whose favorite color is pink (Think Legally Blonde), could spend an entire day at Bloomingdales, and thinks Brad Pitt is, like, totally cute. And while this all does, in fact, apply to me (hey, at least I’m honest), sorority sisters do not all, in fact, come from this mold.

From K-12 (thirteen years, for those numerically challenged, like me), I attended an all girls’ school in New York City. Because of this experience, I knew from the beginning I wanted to find some sort of niche, like a sorority, where I could experience the same camaraderie and form the same kinds of bonds I did with my former classmates. But I was apprehensive about sororities and wanted to investigate a little, because I did not want the experience to be just about partying and cute boys (although cute boys could never be a bad thing). And I found out, believe it or not, sororities are in fact about much, much more.

My sorority consists of about 120 girls who are all unique. We have dancers, singers, and political activists. There are girls in Wharton, girls who are English majors, girls who are math majors. Girls who are kick-butt athletes and girls who are kick-butt news reporters, girls who can speak four languages. Girls from all over the globe, from Hong Kong to California to Texas to New York. You name it, we got it. But there is one thing we have in common: TriDelta. It sounds cliché and totally cheesy, but it’s completely true. These girls have become my sisters. And at a big school like Penn, having such a small community where everyone is so supportive is irreplaceable. We cheer each other on at sports meets, debates, a capella concerts; we give each other awards (think: officer of the week) and help out with sisters’ projects—academic and not. It’s like having 120 family members on call twenty-four hours, seven days a week, for anything. Seriously, it rules. So it doesn’t matter if pink is or isn’t your favorite color, if you prefer math to English, or if you find Zac Efron hotter than Brad Pitt (I’ll agree, it’s debatable…), you’ll find your fit at any sorority at Penn if you want to, and trust me, you do.

xoxo

volps

No comments:

Post a Comment