Sunday, September 27, 2009

Why I'm Greek

For my first post as a Panhellenic blogger, I say to all Penn ladies who want to be campus leaders: Go Greek.

Within my chapter are more student leaders than in any other organization I'm involved in. And in every organization I'm a part of, I'm not alone in being Greek.

Before I continue harping on about how much I love being in a sorority, I should probably introduce myself. My name is Abby Schwartz (on the right, standing next to my little sister, Christine), and I am a Phi Sigma Sigma. I am also involved in SPEC, Dzine2Show, and The Daily Pennsylvanian, but when I introduce myself to people, I am a Phi Sig first.

Why? Well, in a way, I live Phi Sigma Sigma. Not just because I've lived in the chapter house ever since I left the Quad, but because being a Phi Sig has, in many ways, directed my path at Penn. My big sister introduced me to Dzine2Show, and one of my younger sisters first encouraged me to join the DP with her.

Every sorority woman you talk to will tell you the same thing: I love my chapter. No matter which one you become a part of, your sisters will encourage you to be your best and break out of your comfort zone. They will also be some of the best friends you'll ever find.

When I sit down tonight to interview prospective staff members for The WALK fashion magazine, I will be accompanied by my three co-editors, all sorority women as well and all members of different chapters. What we demonstrate is that it doesn't really matter which chapter you are accepted into, when you join a sorority, you become a part of a larger organization. An organization that will help you grow. It will also help you get bruises from playing powderpuff (these are truly worthy of bragging rights).

1 comment:

  1. Abby, great post. It is definitely so true about the correlation between campus leaders and greek life. And get excited for powerderpuff next week!

    ReplyDelete